Welcome to our website !

Review: Eyeko Alexa Chung Eye Do Mascara and Liner

By Wednesday, August 26, 2015 , ,


Hello Everybody,

Finally writing my review for these products since getting them however long ago. I have to start off by saying these two products have been frequently made their way into my makeup kits and makeup routines for the better part of the year. They were designed by Alexa Chung for Eyeko and she has often talked about how Eyeko really is her go-to brand for her signature sixties liner and lashes look. That said there are drawbacks, but before I get carried away, on to the review!

Name: Eyeko Alexa Chung Eye Do Liquid Eyeliner
Net Weight: 0.8 ml/0.3 oz.
Shade: Carbon Black
*Gifted


Like many people, I'd been lusting after this eyeliner after I saw it used in Lisa Eldridge's video with Alexa Chung. She's even gone on to say that this is one of the eyeliners she cannot live without. A friend of mine gave me these as a present and I've been using it on and off for six months. 


The formula itself is very good. It stays on the whole day and does not fade. I drew a line on my hand and ran it under a tap to test its first claim and it did not budge when the water hit it. However, the water made it easy to rub the eyeliner off. This can be a good thing or a back thing: if you have sweaty lids and are prone to rubbing your eyes, this will smudge. On the other hand, this means that this eyeliner is not difficult to remove at the end of the day.

 

The lash-enhancing claim lies in application: If you apply it right on the lashline, you will create the illusion of fuller lashes (thank you, captain obvious ><). Now about it being carbon black: I have to agree that it is a very deep dark black. It has a shiny finish, but this doesn't translate so obviously on the eyes. So it is not matte, but it will not look too glossy on the eye.


Moving on to the nib of the eyeliner. I've never been a fan of sponge-tip eyeliners. Sadly, the Eyeko Eye Do Eyeliner did not change my mind about this. Like all sponge-tips, the point dried out after just a few weeks of use making it much harder to create a flick and do the ends of the line. On top of that, because of the width of the sponge, making a very fine line is near impossible. Although, this might be easier to use for beginners or people who aren't as adept at applying eyeliner as sponge-tips don't require a super steady hand.

Because it is a sponge tip, in as much as it dispenses product, it absorbs some of the products you've applied to your eye. Unlike a brush-tip, you cannot simply scrape off the bits of solidified eyeliner, eyeshadow, and etc. that have clung to the sponge. These bits clog the pores of the sponge which disrupts the distribution of the eyeliner from the tip to your eyelid. This makes the line patchy and uneven.


On the whole, not super happy with this. I have nothing but high praise for the formula: it lives up to its claims and has lasting power to boot. It really is a shame that it has a sponge-tip applicator otherwise this could have been perfect. That said, I won't be repurchasing this when I run out.

Name: Eyeko Alexa Chung Eye Do Mascara
Net Weight: 8.00 ml/0.22 oz.
Type: Lengthen & Strengthen
*Gifted


Getting right to it, this mascara has a slightly wet formula that coats the lashes very well. It is very lengthening and defining as you will see below. It also claimed to be strengthening, which I can attest to. I've found that my lashes do not fall off as much as they used to with this formula. This probably has to do with how comparatively easy it is to remove. It is a waterproof formula, but it comes off even with just Micellar cleansing water so I've never needed to use an oil-based remover.

Oddly though, for a waterproof mascara, it does not hold a curl all day. On the other hand, if you apply it zig-zagging upwards, it boosts (?) lashes up making it look like you've curled them. Layering this mascara is not a problem. It's buildable and it does not flake off or smudge.

 



Top-Bottom: No Mascara, 1-2 coats, 5 coats
Left: Curled Lash, Right: Uncurled Lash

This comes with a very large brush which dispenses a lot of product. You will need to wipe off a bit of the product before applying it to avoid clumps, particularly the tip. It can get clumpy so you may need to comb through your lashes with a clean spoolie or a lash comb. Because the applicator is straight and slightly curved outward in the middle, I often get the product on my eyelid by accident. To prevent this, Eyeko included a "Shield" (read: Guitar Pick) so you can get right to the roots of your lashes. I prefer to use the shield after I've applied the mascara when I'm combing through with a spoolie to better separate and distribute the product.


I was not as excited about the mascara as I was about the eyeliner when I first got these products. On the Lisa Eldridge video they didn't look like anything special, however this impression was quickly turned on its head. I really love this mascara so much so that it has become my go-to mascara for most days. Will definitely repurchase this.

TL:DR

Eyeko Alexa Chung Eye Do Liquid Eyeliner
+ Long-lasting, does not fade, waterproof, easy to remove, very black, not overly glossy, easy to use for beginners (does not require a super steady hand)
- Point dries out quickly, not easy to make wings and fine lines, sponge pores get clogged with other eye makeup, line becomes patchy and uneven

Eyeko Alexa Chung Eye Do Mascara
+ waterproof, coats the lashes very well, lengthening, defining, strengthens lashes, comparatively easy to remove, buildable, does not smudge, does not flake
- does not hold a curl, brush dispenses too much product, can get clumpy, product gets on the eyelid because of brush shape











You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Too bad about the eyeliner, it looks so nice on you though! And hehe that guitar pick XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep having to smooth it out with another liner >< not worth the effort :)) and yes it really is a guitar pick~

      Delete