Welcome to our website !

Review: Fairydrops Volume Burst Mascara Las Vegas Sweets & Platinum Mascara Film Type

By Monday, November 17, 2014 , ,


I went through a lot of reviews on the Fairydrops mascaras before I bought my first one and everyone seemed to love them. I was skeptical at first because a lot of the pictures of people who had it on looked like they had very sparse and spidery lashes. Nevertheless, I had only read good things about it so I thought I would give them a try. Since then I have raved about this brand to all my friends who would listen and now I will rave about them here. I have pictures of my lashes with both types of mascara, but I was using daylight so I must apologize in advance for how different the lighting looks in some of them.


Name: Fairydrops Volume Burst Mascara Las Vegas Sweets
Shade: Volume & Curl
Net Weight: 7.2 ml
Price: HK$98.00
Purchased at: SaSa Citygate Tung Chung


I have been using for some months and I remember loving it when I first opened it. It was one of the first mascaras that did everything I wanted it to do. This mascara is very black and dries matte. It’s volumizing, but not drastically so unless you really lay on layer after layer A friend of mine did my makeup once and put 15 maybe 20 coats of this mascara on my lashes to add drama. So it is buildable, but not good for touchups later in the day because it gets flakey when you do that. I’ve found that it’s better to layer the mascara while it’s still partially wet and not wait too long between coats. The micro fibres look natural, but look more obvious and less like they’re “part of the lash” with more coats.

Top to Bottom - 1 coat, 2-3 coats, 5 coats
Left - Curled lash, Right - Uncurled lash

If you hold the wand firmly in place long enough (10-20 seconds), it can curl your lashes a little and they hold a curled lash pretty well. You get good lash separation with one coat, but with more coats the lashes get bumpier and clumpier especially at the ends. The formula is not wet and liquid-y so a spooly might not be the best option to separate lashes after application. A lash comb works much better for de-clumping the lashes.


The wand has the trademark 3-puff shape with lots of tiny synthetic bristles, which are really good at coating lashes. However, I cannot lay the whole brush super close to the roots of my lashes though because it has a tendency of going onto the center of my waterline and when the tiny fibres get too close to my eye it can be scratchy and irritating. I use the side of the top puff to get close to the base of lashes to avoid that problem.

Top to Bottom - 1 coat, 2-3 coats, 5 coats
Left - Uncurled lash, Right - Curled lash

When they say waterproof they mean it. I have cried with this mascara on (thrice) it did not flake, fade, smudge, or move at all. As with all waterproof formulas, this is quite difficult to remove. I have been able to use just Bioderma to remove it, but that can take a very long time. Oil-based removers make quick work of it though and are able to clean off the mascara and the mircrofibres.


I would repurchase it, but they’ve stopped selling them at Sasa and they’re incredibly overpriced in Manila (HK$70/Php400 more than the price at Sasa)

Name: Fairydrops Platinum Mascara Film Type
Shade: Long & Curl
Net Weight: 7.2 ml
Price: HK$110.00
Purchased at: SaSa Silvercord TST


I’ve been using this everyday for two weeks, so this doubles as a first impressions post for this mascara. It is also a matte black mascara. The formula is quite similar to the Volume Burst Mascara especially in terms of lengthening, and it does volumize, but not as much. It also holds a curled lash just as well even if it isn’t waterproof.

Top to Bottom - 1 coat, 2-3 coats, 5 coats
Left - Curled lash, Right - Uncurled lash

Like the Volume Burst Mascara, it is best not to touch up and just layer the mascara while it is still partially wet. When you build up the layers obviously it will get clumpier and the microfibers become more visible and less natural looking. It is not as buildable as the Volume Burst, but I don’t think I really need 15+ coats of mascara for daily use anyway. It will not flake unless you put on another coat long after the first application. I found it was easier to comb through the lashes with the Platinum Mascara than the Volume Burst Mascara. I also noticed that this mascara is slightly better in terms of separating the lashes.



The brush on the wand still has the 3-puff design, but is curved and it is amazing. The shape is perfect. I can lay the whole wand along my lashline and not have to contend with accidentally getting microfibres on my waterline. The curved shape also makes getting to the fine hairs on the ends of the lash and the lower lashline a little easier. While holding the wand at an angle, use the top-most puff to get product on the smaller hairs.

Top to Bottom - 1 coat, 2-3 coats, 5 coats
Left - Uncurled lash, Right - Curled lash

It is a water resistant formula as well, so while it is not waterproof, it doesn’t melt if you get teary-eyed. It doesn’t fade or smudge and it generally lasts all day on me, but may not be quite as durable on wetter or oilier lashes. It can be removed easily with just Bioderma (no need for oil-based stuff or to spend 5-10 minutes easing it off). It comes off in little black eraser-type bits and does not smudge everywhere.



This is definitely something I would repurchase. I’ve fallen in love with this mascara much like I did with the Volume Burst. I might love the Platinum Mascara a little more though because of how much easier it is to remove and because of the lash separation. They’re equally good at holding a curl, and lengthening my lashes. For these reasons the Platinum Mascara is a great everyday mascara while the Volume Burst would be better for days when you want to layer and have thicker, more dramatic lashes.

Having used these two mascaras, reading reviews, and hearing what my friends had to say about the other types in this line I’m inclined to believe that all the Fairydrops mascaras are very good. These are two things I would love to repurchase, but maybe after I give the other formulas a try as well. 

TL;DR

Fairydrops Volume Burst Mascara Las Vegas Sweets
+ black & matte, volumizing, buildable, microfibers look natural, can curl lashes, hold curled lashes, good lash separation, 3-puff wand is good at coating the lashes, super waterproof, durable & long-lasting, more dramatic
-- not good for touchups, bumpier and clumpier with more coats, microfibers can be scratchy and irritating if placed too close to the eye, difficult to remove

 Fairydrops Platinum Mascara Film Type
+ black & matte, lengthens, holds a curled lash very well, better lash separation, water resistant formula, easier to comb through, does not flake easily, curved 3-puff wand gives a more even coat and is good for hard-to-reach lashes, doesn't fade or smudge, long-lasting, better for everyday
-- not good for touchups, can get clumpy with more layers, not as buildable or volumizing as the Volume Burst Mascara, may not be as long-lasting on wetter/oilier lashes


You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Isn't the Platinum Mascara amazing!! The black and gold design of the film type is prettier than my waterproof one (pink and white) though :c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing! It's the gold, it really is. Part of the reason I'm interested in the Glossy Black Water Resistant one is because of the packaging :)) When our Platinum ones runs out in 762345 months let's try out the other formulas~ :D

      Delete