Welcome to our website !

THE MAKEUP BAG: THE BRIGHT LIGHT KIT

By Wednesday, April 08, 2015 , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Hi everyone! For March I am featuring one of my best friends for TMB. Ladies and gents, I give you the makeup bag of Danie from That Nugu! I went to the same grade school and high school as Danie, but we really only became friends in Uni. This girl is absolutely amazing! She is incredibly smart, talented, and kind-hearted. I could not have gone through university and post-grad life without her. We aren’t very much alike in terms of personality and personal taste, but there are two things we both care very much about: Make-up and Korean Pop Culture (this of course includes the road makeup shops because makeup is very much part of pop culture in Korea). Both of these things feature a bit in this TMB as you will see.


Her influences are mostly Korean and East Asian beauty bloggers and makeup artists and she is very good at keeping track of all the latest K-beauty trends. I remember how she got me into BB creams and the gradient lip when those were just starting to get popular. Her current look is a little more like a mix of Cheon Song Yi (Jun Ji Hyun’s character in You Who Came from the Stars) and 4 Minute’s Hyuna with her bright red lips.


The day I met up with her was a red-lip day and she had a NYX Lipstick in Snow White. I remember how she really wanted a red lippy after she saw the teasers for Hyuna’s Red. “It’s the perfect red I was looking for. It doesn’t stay on as long as I want it to, but I am in love with the color. It makes my skin and teeth look whiter and brighter.”


As an alternative, she also brought with her an A'Pieu The Red Tint in Berry Red. “I bought this by accident haha it was on sale for KRW 5,000 and I got the last piece. The tint is a blue-y red and it can be slightly dark and bordering on vampy. I usually use the gradation technique. The other side is a gloss which is really pretty in fairness.”


Underneath her rep lip, Danie uses a Nivea Med Protection SPF 15 balm (see Danie's review here). “I’m taking acne meds which makes my skin drier. Including my lips. I need my lip balm to have that extra moisturizing factor. It’s my favorite.  I’ve bought more than four sticks of this already."


Because she has sensitive skin, she really needed a base that was lighter and non-irritating. Gone are the days when she slathered on thick Etude House BB Creams. She has since moved on to a BB with a better formula for her skin concerns, the Céleteque Dermo Science Brightening Multi-Benefit BB Cream “I chose this because it’s non-comedogenic – it won’t block your pores. I broke out because I started using a lot of makeup to cover my pimples, which only made them get worse.”

After a few months of derma treatments when the acne was less active, she started using this to conceal pigmentation. “The coverage is light to medium so it’s enough to cover redness, but not blemishes. The texture is thin and watery.” Aside from that, she also says it’s really affordable. “It’s not an exact color match, but it blends very well onto the skin. My derma can’t tell I have makeup on and says my skin has improved. She had a magnifying mirror and everything so it’s pretty seamless.”


For concealer she uses the Misha Under Eye Brightener, a brand that has her favorite boy group as the endorsers. “I got this from a recommendation by a Korean Youtuber, She was looking for a cheap concealer that works. When I tried it ‘whoa coverage!’ I use it on my eye bags. My only problem is it’s kind of thick and it’s not as easy to spread so you have to be quick and you need powder to set it or it gets cake-y. It’s really good medium to heavy coverage and it costs less than KRW 3,000."


When I opened up her makeup bag, one of the first things I noticed was how many products she had for eyes. She had the Too Faced Boudoir Eyes collection I gave her last year. “I really like that it’s safe for office wear. I usually use my fingers and the texture is super smooth. It has light browns, beiges, a grey, and purples. They aren’t too heavy and even the dark colors go on pretty light. I like it even though the color in the pan isn’t true to what color it is on your hand or eye. Satin sheets is my favorite color and looks pink in the pan, but it’s gold on my eyes.”


Her current eyeliner is the Innisfree Gel Liner in #07 Brown. Danie used to like using gel liners that came in pots, but has made the shift to gel pencils. “In pencil form, gels are really easy to use and are more flexible. It’s really creamy as well. I’ve had it for several months, but it still goes on creamy and it really lasts. I eye-smile and I have a lot of creasing around my eyes, but the smudging is really minimal. I just don’t like that it has shimmer. Other than that it would have been perfect."


For her lashes Danie uses a Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler (which she wrote a review on here) and the Innisfree Skinny Microcara. “This mascara is PONY’s fault. I agree with what you wrote about it in your favorites. It’s very natural, but defining and it has a really good formula which stays, but isn’t difficult to remove. It’s also good for separating lashes and it’s very light."



Brows are something she feels are necessary to every makeup look. She uses an A'Pieu Eye Fine Brow Liner in Brown. It has the tiniest nib. “It’s finer than your normal brow pencil. It’s really thin because it’s supposed to create thinner natural looking lines. I outline the shape I want with this and I fill it in with my Nature Republic Brow Powder."




The last item in her makeup bag was a decanted Victoria’s Secret Fragrance Mist in Mango Temptation.  “I like smell of sweet fruits. And you told him this so this is a Valentine’s Day gift." I may or may not have helped a mutual friend pick out her present using insider knowledge of her likes and dislikes haha, but we digress. "I find it sweet, smell and the other meaning haha. It was a non-traditional gift so plus points for that and it’s pink!” 

Danie’s makeup philosophy is all about looking bright-eyed and awake. Bright skin, bright eyes, bright lips, all of these bring her look together and give her a healthier and livelier appearance. When I asked her what we should name her kit she took her time and with the help of Google Translate, she came up with the "선명한 ë¹› Kit" or the Bright Light Kit, "The point is to not look dead haha~ A pop of color on the lips plus the nice base and defined eyes make me look more alive at work." Here's to looking alive!














P.S. Danie and I when we last met up~

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Yay its Danie!! So interesting to see her make-up bag (which I've never seen when we were in school :o) and I see what you did in that part about the perfume XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're next btw! We need to meet up soon so I can riffle through your stash :)) and ofc she brought it so I had to include it~ and I ship them so there :))

      Delete
    2. Yes lets meet please! 8D hehe the ship lives on!

      Delete
  2. so kilig to be featured in one of your blog posts <3 thanks yeobo! <333

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for letting me interview you~ <3 saranghae~

      Delete