Welcome to our website !

The Makeup Bag: Working on the Weekdays

By Saturday, January 31, 2015 , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,



My first makeup bag post! Makeup bag posts and videos are one of my favorite things to read about and watch. I like riffling through other people's makeup bags as most of my friends already know.

This is something I've been pretty excited about for a while. Though I have to say at the get-go that my makeup bag is not at all very exciting. Still, if there is anything I have learned from rummaging through my friends' makeup bags, it's that you learn a lot about what's most important to them in the realms of makeup and skincare by what they absolutely need to bring with them. I suppose I wanted to share a bit of what I really valued here. 

The Makeup Bag



The bag I keep my makeup in was an old Ermenegildo Zegna Flight Kit. It is supposed to be for men, but I couldn't help but like it. What drew me to it initially was how the fabric wouldn't get dirty easily. A lot of light colored makeup bags can look grubby with time. I also really like that you can open it up all the way and it lays down flat. 

It also has pockets on both sides that serve as dividers and help keep the bits and bobs inside organized. It saves me from having to dig around a pouch where things tend to jostle around or collect at the bottom. Since it is made of fabric, it's expandable and perfect for when I have lots of stuff. 

Powder 


Powder is a must for makeup bags especially in hot and humid cities like mine. This Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder does live up to it's name as it has managed to control shine and oiliness. (Big thank you to Danie of That Nugu)

However, I am not a fan of loose powders for travel. I've managed to keep messiness to a minimum by leaving half the sticker on where the powder comes out and lifting it up only when I need it. I also use the puff to keep the powder from going everywhere. 

It's also not the quickest thing to use because I have to sprinkle the powder onto the lid every time I want to use it. I'd really like to invest in a pressed powder for my makeup bag and keep this at home.

Mirror


Everyone needs a mirror in their makeup bag. I got this for free on my trip to Sephora in Singapore. It's a pretty standard mirror with one regular side and one 5x magnifying side (great for doing eyeliner and checking lip lines). 

Lipsticks 

I have found it impossible to leave the house with only one lipstick. I tend to do my lips in the car or when I get to work so unless my makeup look is particularly lip-centric that day, color choice is always left to the last minute. As a result of this I bring my favorites with me everywhere. 

Pictured here are my Covergirl Queen Collection Lipstick in Tawny Port for my red shade, my VDL Tint Bar Tripleshot in Triple Burgundy for my everyday pinky berry shade, and my Rimmel Lasting Finish Kate Moss lipstick in #08 for my MLBB.  I've managed to whittle this down quite a bit because I used to bring six around with me and many of them were essentially the same color and finish (oops!)

Eyeliner


Admittedly, this is not something I bring every day as I make it a point to finish doing all my eye makeup before I leave the house. On the days when I am in a terrible rush or when I know I am going  to primp a bit after work, I've been opting to bring this rather old Tony Moly Easy Touch Eyeliner in #02 Brown.

Moisturizers


A definite must for me. I need to have moisturizers because I get dry patches in the weirdest places. My lips chap easily so I need an extra strong product that counteracts that. I've talked about this C.O. Bigelow Mentha Lip Shine in Ultra No. 1122 before in my recent haul and I meant it when I said it was a makeup bag staple. 

I have really loved this Nature Republic Hand & Nature Avocado Hand Cream. So much so that I've bought my third (and fourth because it comes in a 1+1 deal) tube. I really like the light fresh and fruity scent is has. Avocado has a lot of benefits for your skin as well (lightens scars, skin, and spots, prevents wrinkles, is an antioxidant, prevents breakouts, and is a natural sunscreen). The texture is not too heavy either, so it does not make your hands sticky for too long.

Brush


I used to prefer puffs for applying powder products until I realized how much product a puff packs on. I picked up this Body Shop Blush Brush a few months back and I've been using it to apply the Innisfree No-Sebum Mineral Powder. I love that it's retractable because not only is it great for travel, it also means you can control how densely packed the bristles are. In effect it becomes a powder brush for applying product onto larger areas and a mini domed buffing brush for applying product onto corners and under the eyes.

Sprays



These next two sections are really just tiny bits I feel I need to bring with me all the time and fit conveniently into my makeup bag. I always need to bring a hand sanitizer with me, which in this case is rubbing alcohol in an atomizer. I also carry around a few perfume samples whenever I get my hands on them. Here I have samples of Victoria's Secret Angel Dream and Miss Dior Blooming Bouquet.

 For Emergencies



My family and I absolutely swear by Axe Brand Universal Oil. It's one of those brilliant Chinese ointments that does everything. I've used it for headaches, nausea, insect bites, muscle pain, and as a decongestant. You will not believe how many times this has come in handy (it is a godsend on road trips out of town).

I also pack a lot of bandaids. I use them less for cuts and scrapes and more for when my shoes rub me the wrong way.  Better to have it and not need it than to need it an not have it.


Back in school I'd have a mascara, cream blush and sometimes two colored eyeliners in addition to the three extra tubes of lipstick. Aside from that I had wet wipes, medicine, and at one point a shoe mitt. For work though, I saw the need to get it down to the essentials.

Evidently, my makeup bag philosophy of late has more to do with practicality than anything else. I put a lot of stock in having things that I know will be useful. Each item usually addresses certain needs and I tend to save the fun stuff (pink eyeliner, purple lip tar, blue mascara, and the like) for nights out on the weekends. 

I do make an exception for my lip products. I packed three lipsticks and a lip treatment - four products dedicated to just one area to me says a lot about what I find important. Because lips are very, very, important.

----

All of this aside what this post really way for was to make an announcement and serve as a starting point for this new project. Ladies and ladies, I am very happy to announce the launch, shall we say, of The Makeup Bag Series! Every month I will feature a makeup bag I've riffled through and the makeup philosophy of the beautiful person who owns it. 

Fingers crossed I will have the posts up at the end of the month every month (if I interview more people, maybe more makeup bags~ who knows?) so that by this time next year I will have featured twelve or so makeup bags. 

I'm beyond excited about this project and  I am happy to report I already have four lovely makeup bags lined up for posting. At any rate, if you've read this far thank you and I am sorry this turned into an inconceivably long post. 

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. YAAAAAS have been waiting for you to post ouo now I want that powder omg and I'm surprised you don't bring the Bourjois blush anymore! Hehe can't wait for the succeeding makeup bag posts <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember that the next chance I get, I am taking pictures of your makeup bag! :)) I put it on at home and I leave it at there so it won't get dirty~ ugh commuter woes

      Delete
  2. What about foundation and bluuush?? I need to see the products you wore when I saw you today :P

    You have a lot less items than I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do 95% of my makeup at home because I don't want them to get contaminated and I use it as a sort of protective layer against the pollution~

      The makeup you saw today was me on the weekends though XD will post about that some other time~ (bring your makeup bag next time!)

      Delete
  3. yay because my gift is there haha <3 pls remind me to bring mine the next time we meet tho i'd have a lot less than what you just showed XD

    ReplyDelete